The Barbados Museum, located at the Garrison, is housed in the former British Military Prison.
The prison, whose upper section was built in 1817 and lower section in 1853, became the headquarters of the Barbados Museum and Historical Society in 1930.
Some of the main displays and features of the Barbados Museum are:
- A natural history display that describes the coral structure of Barbados.
- Artifacts of the Amerindians, the early inhabitants of the Caribbean islands.
- Children’s Gallery ‘Yesterday’s Children’ which provides an exciting and educational travel back into history.
- Furnishings of an eighteenth century plantation house.
- A collection of rare historical maps of the island.
- A reference library which is available for research on the island’s history and genealogy.